About Me

Pearl City, HI, United States
Husband, father, grandfather, friend...a few of the roles acquired in 68 years of living. I keep an upbeat attitude, loving humor and the singular freedom of a perfect laugh. I don't let curmudgeons ruin my day; that only gives them power over me. Having experienced death once, I no longer fear it, although I am still frightened by the process of dying. I love to write because it allows me the freedom to vent those complex feelings that bounce restlessly off the walls of my mind; and express the beauty that can only be found within the human heart.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

A Collection of Summer Haiku

Copyright © 2011 by Ralph Couey

I
The days are now hot
Air is hazy and humid
My forehead is damp

II
The school doors open
Finally free, we run home
Students are now kids

III
Dad packs up the car
“Buckle up for adventure!”
The journey begins

IV
Outside the windows
A brand-new world passes by
I’ll have tales to tell

V
The trip is over
But summer is not yet done
There’s yet time for fun

VI
The ballgame with Dad
Peanuts and sodas we share
Bugs flit in the lights

VII
The Fourth of July
Barbecue’s smell fills the air
Fireworks at night

VIII
Back-to-school shopping
New clothes, paper and pencils
Where has summer gone?

IX
One last summer fling
Play like there’s no tomorrow
Because there isn’t.

X
School year starts today
Sadly we get on the bus
Why is Mom smiling?

No comments: