About Me

Pearl City, HI, United States
Husband, father, grandfather, friend...a few of the roles acquired in 68 years of living. I keep an upbeat attitude, loving humor and the singular freedom of a perfect laugh. I don't let curmudgeons ruin my day; that only gives them power over me. Having experienced death once, I no longer fear it, although I am still frightened by the process of dying. I love to write because it allows me the freedom to vent those complex feelings that bounce restlessly off the walls of my mind; and express the beauty that can only be found within the human heart.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

A Collection of Spring Haiku

Copyright © 2011 by Ralph Couey

I
The snow is melting
The new grass reveals itself
My spirit awakes

II
The sun has come out
The air is finally warm
Put the coats away

III
Open the windows!
Let the fresh breezes blow through!
Refresh my stale soul!

IV
Digging in the dirt
I plant the new year’s seedlings
The earth smells alive

V
On the garage shelf
I see my old baseball glove
“Wanna have a catch?”

VI
I hear the thunder
The lightning flashes above
The spring rain falling

VII
It’s snowing in March
But it doesn’t make me sad
I know it won’t last

VIII
Rivers are flooding
The people are in danger
Homes are washed away

IX
Clouds begin to spin!
A twister is touching down!
Flee to the basement!

X
Suddenly I hear
The birds are singing again!
Music to my soul

No comments: