About Me

Pearl City, HI, United States
Husband, father, grandfather, friend...a few of the roles acquired in 68 years of living. I keep an upbeat attitude, loving humor and the singular freedom of a perfect laugh. I don't let curmudgeons ruin my day; that only gives them power over me. Having experienced death once, I no longer fear it, although I am still frightened by the process of dying. I love to write because it allows me the freedom to vent those complex feelings that bounce restlessly off the walls of my mind; and express the beauty that can only be found within the human heart.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

A Collection of Fall Haiku

Copyright © 2010 by Ralph Couey

I've never tried Haiku before, but Autumn is such a special time of year for me, I thought I'd attempt a few.  These are written in the classic 5-7-5 English Haiku format.

I
Sunlight through the leaves
The fall colors blaze brightly
The cool breeze rustles

  II
A stream reflects fall
I look down from the stone bridge
The still water glows

   III
Our steps stir the leaves
We smell the perfume of fall
Her hand warm in mine

    IV
A Sunset in fall
The sky turns a deep purple
The clouds like gold wreaths

    V
The sun rises late
The day has become so brief
The hours precious

  VI
There’s football today
Teams tussle in the cool air
A sweater feels good

 VII
Pumpkins on the porch
The glow through evil eyes
Carved by smiling kids

  VIII
A princess arrives
“Trick or Treat,” she sings with hope
Candy hits the bag

  IX
The wind passes through
Leaves fall from far above
Cover me in gold

   X
Night is dark and cold
I can feel the frost forming
I breathe moonlit clouds

No comments: