About Me

Pearl City, HI, United States
Husband, father, grandfather, friend...a few of the roles acquired in 68 years of living. I keep an upbeat attitude, loving humor and the singular freedom of a perfect laugh. I don't let curmudgeons ruin my day; that only gives them power over me. Having experienced death once, I no longer fear it, although I am still frightened by the process of dying. I love to write because it allows me the freedom to vent those complex feelings that bounce restlessly off the walls of my mind; and express the beauty that can only be found within the human heart.

Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Random Thoughts from a Midwinter's Eve

Copyright © 2010 by Ralph Couey



I wonder who’s going to be the first to mass-produce a hybrid (gas-electric) motorcycle? The time would seem to be right, and frankly, I’m getting tired of seeing electric motorcycles that are only the size of trail bikes. How about something for the real world? Like a hybrid Gold Wing. Honda, are you listening?

A fire in a fireplace can be hypnotic. There’s something so soothing about watching the flames dance over and amongst the logs while the cold winds blow against the windows.

When I first climb in bed, our cat jumps up and curls up on my chest, staring at me from inches away. I’m curious whether it’s because she really likes me, or because I’m just warm furniture on a cold night.

The other night, I was faced with an entertainment dilemma. Snow had apparently piled up on the satellite dish deep enough to disrupt the signal. It was in the single digits outside, and as I sat there, I tried to decide whether to get dressed, go outside and clean the dish off, or just put in a DVD. In the end, I compromised. I turned on the Wii and exercised instead.

Despite the mountain of snow we’ve gotten, and the hundreds of shovelfuls we’ve moved, and the bitter bite of the winter winds, I still think there’re few sights more beautiful than snowfall at night. The flakes as they fall, catch the light from streetlamps and sparkle in the prettiest way.

Winter in the Highlands brings few sunny days. When they do arrive, I think it’s important to spend as much time as possible in that bright light. I’m always amazed at how much it perks up my mood and energy level.

One of the most expressive things to hear is a heartfelt sigh from the one you love.

I wonder how long it’ll take me to re-learn my motorcycle skills come spring?

Any brush with death, like my recent cardiac incident, can result in one of two personal choices. Either embrace life and aggressively pursue all its wonders and magic, or hunker down, slow down, and try not to upset the apple cart.

Yesterday, I picked up my baseball glove. I put it on, pumped my fist in the pocket a couple of times, then held it to my nose and breathed deep the memories of leather and chalk dust. Suddenly, I was overtaken by an overpowering longing for Spring.

No comments: