About Me

Pearl City, HI, United States
Husband, father, grandfather, friend...a few of the roles acquired in 68 years of living. I keep an upbeat attitude, loving humor and the singular freedom of a perfect laugh. I don't let curmudgeons ruin my day; that only gives them power over me. Having experienced death once, I no longer fear it, although I am still frightened by the process of dying. I love to write because it allows me the freedom to vent those complex feelings that bounce restlessly off the walls of my mind; and express the beauty that can only be found within the human heart.

Sunday, April 07, 2019

My Lap Band Life: Postop #3

Three Weeks and looking good.

Copyright ©2019
by Ralph F. Couey

That photo represents a kind of triumph.  I am wearing pants with a size 38 waist, something I haven't worn since I was 25.  Suffice to say, I am happy with my new profile, even happier that since the swelling hasn't gone down completely, I'll get even smaller.  So, adding it all together, since I started this journey in 2011, I've lost 214 pounds.

Every day I've seen marked improvement in the pain levels.  But as the numbing agents which were injected during surgery begin to finally wear off, I'm feeling some discomfort that is just enough to impair my concentration.  I have pain meds for that, but I'm only taking them when I absolutely need to.  I was a counter-drug analyst for seven years, so I am well-versed in the trap of addiction that opiates represent.  My activity levels have increased accordingly.  I'm now walking two miles per day, and will up that a bit in the coming week.  My new job involves a lot of sitting, and that makes the ab muscles stiffen up.  So, when I stand up, there is a moment of two of pain while things stabilize.  The more I move, the looser those muscles become, and hence the lower the pain levels.  

I had my third postop visit with the plastic surgeon and was told that everything is healing as it should.  The belly drain stayed in for an interminable 16 days, but was finally removed so I've been freed from the necessity of carrying the darn thing around my neck.

Sleep is still difficult, but not necessarily from the surgery.  I'm having to get up every hour or hour and a half to visit the restroom, which is odd because during the day I can go four to six hours between visits.  I have a call into my urologist to solve this particular mystery.

One of the interesting things is how low my appetite has been.  I eat very little, and that has helped my continued weight loss, which is now down to 204.  I am still drinking protein drinks to ensure I get my fill of that vital nutrient.  


Friday night, I went to one of our Irish Music Sessions, and two my surprise, I lasted the entire two hours, tapping away at my bodhran (Irish frame drum).  It was a gas being with them again, although I kinda had to relearn the best way to hold it, since there's way less of me in those areas.  My stamina, which has had some bad days of late, continues to improve, probably helped by my walking.  I look forward to slowly returning to my normal levels as things improve.

I have to admit having to remind myself that I did this voluntarily from time to time as I've struggled with the pain and discomfort.  But I have absolutely no regrets that I had this done.  It was necessary to stave off skin infections, as well as the fact that no amount of diet and exercise was going to take away what was left.  I'm told that it will take at least another month or so for all the swelling to go down and the discomfort to go away.  I have to be patient, knowing that time will pass at it's own pace.  But I know that I've turned a big corner here with my health and appearance, as well as my confidence in myself going forward.  Despite the cost involved in acquiring a whole new wardrobe, I am delighted as to how far I've come, and how far I've yet to go.

No comments: