About Me

Pearl City, HI, United States
Husband, father, grandfather, friend...a few of the roles acquired in 68 years of living. I keep an upbeat attitude, loving humor and the singular freedom of a perfect laugh. I don't let curmudgeons ruin my day; that only gives them power over me. Having experienced death once, I no longer fear it, although I am still frightened by the process of dying. I love to write because it allows me the freedom to vent those complex feelings that bounce restlessly off the walls of my mind; and express the beauty that can only be found within the human heart.

Wednesday, March 13, 2019

My Lap Band LIfe: The Final step



Copyright 2019
by Ralph F. Couey

In January of 2011, I took a major step towards my chronic and dangerous weight problem.  I had a lap band put in, which basically wraps around the upper part of the stomach and greatly reduces the amount of food that can be taken in.  The results have been very satisfactory.  In the eight years since, I've dropped just under 200 (yes, that's right) pounds, my health has taken a complete one-eighty, and I can now look forward to a much longer and healthier life.  

Now I am ready to take the next and final step.  

That precipitous weight loss has left me with a lot of excess skin which now has become problematic with rashes and other skin problems, made more acute by life in the tropics.  So tomorrow at six a.m., that excess baggage will be removed.  It will be an extensive surgery, but routine for the Doctor I chose after exhaustive research.  Blue Cross Blue Shield, because this particular surgeon is not on their list, will not support this financially, so the total cost will be born by us.  The total cost for what I am having done is going to be around $17,000, which spread over a great 12 months no interest, gives us manageable payments of around $1,400 per month.  In addition to being the best available, this Doc was also the least expensive by ten to fifteen thousand dollars, which should have been good news to the bean counters at BCBS.


Now as to what is being done.

First off, the large, whale-shaped pannus that has hung below my belt for way too long will be removed.  He says I'll get a new naval (not that I was interested in one) and will not in any way affect the placement and function of the lap band.  Secondly, my man-boobs which have been a source of embarrassment for me will be cut down and contoured into something more in keeping with my gender.  The area between the two will be pulled up and tightened, giving me with a far more attractive profile, at least in my eyes.

The surgery will be done in the office, and after some recovery time, I will be sent home wrapped in several compression bandages.  Recovery time estimates vary (everyone is different) but could be as soon as a few days to a couple of weeks.  That's good, because I've landed a great job with Hawai'i Emergency Management Agency in the Emergency Operations Center which starts April 1.  That should be more than ample time for me to be ready to tackle this new responsibility, which mainly consists of sitting in front of a computer monitor.

My attitude towards this procedure is markedly different than the one I had prior to my lap band.  Back then, I had never been under general anesthesia before and was mainly terrified of waking up in the middle of the thing.  That was an irrational fear, as my wife who has 40 years in the surgery game has never, ever, ever seen that happen.  Now as the clock ticks down, I am not afraid.  Rather I am excited to get this done.  In a sense, this will be more life-changing than anything I've ever done.  I've never felt comfortable taking my shirt off in public, so self-conscious of my appearance was I.  Also, my access to really nice clothes has been restricted by the rolls of skin that I just couldn't get rid of.  I have no qualms about doing this at all.  I am focused on the tremendously positive outcome that will result.

Now, there is a risk, as there is with all invasive medical procedures.  Something totally unforeseen could happen that could result in my shuffling off the mortal coil, as it were.  But the risk of that is far less now than it was in 2011, as I am way healthier.  And even if the unthinkable would occur....well, I've been dead once already and all things considered, it was quite a pleasant place, so I have no fear of that outcome.  God is involved in this, as my prayers have been frequent, and the way everything came together, literally within days, is a testament that his hand is firmly on the rudder of my life.  

I'll be back in a day or two to report on exactly what happened, and hopefully provide some insight for those who have been thinking about getting this done.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Prayers for you and your medical team as you take this final step.

irenemce said...

We have never stopped praying for you!