About Me

Pearl City, HI, United States
Husband, father, grandfather, friend...a few of the roles acquired in 68 years of living. I keep an upbeat attitude, loving humor and the singular freedom of a perfect laugh. I don't let curmudgeons ruin my day; that only gives them power over me. Having experienced death once, I no longer fear it, although I am still frightened by the process of dying. I love to write because it allows me the freedom to vent those complex feelings that bounce restlessly off the walls of my mind; and express the beauty that can only be found within the human heart.

Friday, May 24, 2013

My Day in History

Copyright © 2013 by Ralph F. Couey
 
In checking some history-related websites, it would seem I share my birthday with some interesting events from the past.
 
1430 - Joan of Arc captured by the Burgundians.
1609 – Ratification of the second charter of Virginia
1701 – The famous pirate Captain William Kidd hung for murder
1788 – South Carolina ratifies the U.S. constitution, becoming the 8th state.
1829 – The Accordion was patented.
1846 – Mexico declares war on the U.S.
1873 – The Northwest Mounted Police, which became Canada’s famed RCMP was established.
1911 – New York public library was dedicated.
1934 – Italy’s most prominent anti-mafia judge, Giovanni Falcone, his wife and security detail were killed by a bomb.
1995 – Java is born.
1998 – The Good Friday Accords were accepted by referendum in Northern Ireland, bringing an end to the violence referred to as "The Troubles."
 There were some noteworthy people who also were born on May 23:
1052 – Philip I of France
1848 – Otto Lilienthal, German aviation pioneer.
1883 - Douglas Fairbanks, American actor.
1910 – Scatman Crothers,  famous American singer and dancer.
1910 – Artie Shaw, legendary swing band leader.
1928 – Rosemary Clooney
1933 – Joan Collins
1934 – Robert Moog, inventor of the Moog synthesizer.
1944 – John Newcombe, Australian tennis player.
1950 – Martin McGuinness, Irish Republican activist and insurgent.
1956 – Buck Showalter, baseball manager.
1958 – Mitch Albom, author.
1958 - Drew Carey
1974 – Ken Jennings, he of "Jeopardy" fame.


No comments: