About Me

My photo

Husband, father, grandfather, friend...a few of the roles acquired in 62 years of living.  I keep an upbeat attitude, loving humor and the singular freedom of a perfect laugh.  I don't let curmudgeons ruin my day; that only gives them power over me.  Having experienced death once, I no longer fear it, although I am still frightened by the process of dying.  I love to write because it allows me the freedom to vent those complex feelings that bounce restlessly off the walls of my mind; and express the beauty that can only be found within the human heart.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

My Lap-Band Life: Three Months In

Copyright © 2011 by Ralph Couey

Things have slowed considerably this month.  Over the past four weeks, I've only managed to lose an additional 4 pounds, but again, the Doctor said not to worry.  He's happy with my progress, so I guess I need to be less impatient.

Physically, I feel great.  No pain, no discomfort, in fact at times, I have to remind myself that I even had anything done.  I still struggle with eating too fast and taking too big mouthfuls.  That's the only time I get uncomfortable.  the food will sit in the pouch for a couple of minutes, and then drop on through.  This causes a bit of an ache, but nothing more than an annoyance, mainly at myself for forgetting.  I also at times find myself eating a little too much, which means I spend some time feeling like I'm about to throw up.  Again, proper punishment for my transgressions.

I'm walking more each day at a really good pace.  One day last week, I did three miles in 45 minutes, which equates to a 4-mph pace, which is really hoofin' it.  I'm amazed at how light on my feet I feel.  Once I get stretched out and warmed up, I can now really push myself to go as fast as I possibly can.  Oh yeah.  About P90X?  After the second day, I strained my back and was laid up for about a week.  Guess I'm not as young as I thought!

The pain I had been experiencing in my hips has disappeared, except on days when a cold front is coming through.  My knees and ankles are pain-free, and that has really helped my ability to walk.  I may even try jogging at some point.

The best part about this is my clothes.  Everything's loose and there's some items I can't wear anymore until I get them taken in.  Everyone is full of compliments at my "new look" which I accept happily, even knowing that the best is yet to come.  I went with my wife to an outlet mall and one of the places we stopped was the Polo store, someplace that never had anything in blimp sizes.  While she shopped, I wandered around and began to try some things on.  Guess what? They fit!  I'm still not ready for my "graduation" shopping spree at Brooks Brothers, but this was a great motivator, anyway!

A friend of mine, a federal law enforcement officer, asked me about the surgery.  His concern is that sometimes he gets into fights with suspects and he was worried about the damage the could be done taking punches.  I asked Dr. Marley about that and he said that after things are healed up inside (three to six weeks), the only blow that could dislodge either the band or the port would be something on the order of getting hit by a car.  There is a chance that the port could drop a stitch, but that's easily repaired in the office under a local anesthetic.

So, nothing but good news to report, and nothing but great days ahead.  If you have any questions, feel free to contact me at Ralph.Couey@gmail.com.  You can also get more specific technical questions answered at
Post a Comment