About Me

Pearl City, HI, United States
Husband, father, grandfather, friend...a few of the roles acquired in 68 years of living. I keep an upbeat attitude, loving humor and the singular freedom of a perfect laugh. I don't let curmudgeons ruin my day; that only gives them power over me. Having experienced death once, I no longer fear it, although I am still frightened by the process of dying. I love to write because it allows me the freedom to vent those complex feelings that bounce restlessly off the walls of my mind; and express the beauty that can only be found within the human heart.

Saturday, August 07, 2021

Beach Wedding and the Faith of Hope



Copyright © 2021
by Ralph F. Couey

I've been on a bit of a writing sabbatical, partially because life has gotten very busy, but also because like all writers, I hit a dry spell.

While I was away, many things have happened, not the least of which was the honor of performing a wedding.

We had met the couple at church when we were still in Virginia.  We hit it off, and enjoyed several happy years before circumstance pushed us back out onto the road again.  I had been for awhile their co-Pastor, and while I can't attest to the value of any ministry I may have brought to them, in their warm and joyful spirits, they gave a lot of ministry to me.  The Bride's parents were and are incredibly precious folks, possessed of the kind of sage wisdom which is far too rare in this world.   

They contacted me a few months ago and asked me to preside.  At first, I was not sure I could pull it off because at the time, the state of Hawai'i wasn't allowing its employees (of which I are one) to travel outside the state.  But they had decided to come here to have their wedding.  I was honored and humbled to accept.

Through the weeks, I worked on the ceremony, wanting it to be as perfect as I could possibly make it.  They were coming a long way, and they deserved nothing less.  The choice of venue seemed to be the least complicated thing about it.  They wanted an outdoor wedding, preferably at or on a beach.  After some discussion, we picked Kualoah Beach Park, just north of Kaneohe on the northeast shore of O'ahu.  I was able to navigate the administrative stuff, getting a permit to do the wedding and a $2 million event insurance policy (actually cost all of $18).  We got together at a restaurant near Pearl City on Friday, and had a terrific time.  Like all good friendships, it was like we had never been apart.  

The day of, I woke up, feeling nervous, but very happy.  We left in time to make the 45-minute trek to the park.  Then the fun began.  I neglected to pick a specific spot, and the park is a pretty big place.  The only guidance I gave them was "Where you can see Chinamen's Hat island."  Well, when we pulled in, the place was covered with tents.  I had forgotten that local people like to camp out at the state beaches on the weekend.  We rendezvoused with the family and hurriedly looked for a spot where we could have a modicum of privacy.  The tide was in, so there wasn't nearly enough beach for all of us to gather.  But there was an unoccupied campsite with a picnic table and a large and shady tree.  We decided that was as good a place as any, as looking one way you had the majesty of the mountains, and the other way, the open sea.  I just hoped nobody would show up and move us out.

So, that decided, we waited. Everyone was there except the two most important, the bride and groom.  The clock continued to tick, and I remarked to the family that I had imagined a lot of contingencies for this event, but the nonappearance of the couple was not one of them.  Actually, I was thinking that the permit and the insurance policy both expired at the top of the hour.  They finally showed up, however, and after some shuffling around and arranging, everybody lined up in the right places, and after taking a deep breath, I started.  

It's a wonderful thing as a minister to share those moments with the couple.  Although there are others present, for a period of time, the world shrinks down to just three people. The spirit that enveloped us was one of joy, love, and peace, and all the promise the future holds.  The love that existed between them was almost a tangible thing, so powerful it was.  Everything went smoothly, the only interruption a flying ant that landed on the inside of my glasses, which I hurriedly brushed away.  And all too soon, I was at the point where I pronounced, a moment where joy just seemed to rise and envelop the whole group.  It was one of the best moments I've ever experienced, and I hope it was for them as well.

The wedding feast was held at a shrimp truck up near Kahuku at the far northern end of O'ahu.  We sat and feasted, laughed and shared, told stories and listened to many more.  After dinner, they went to pursue their adventures, and Cheryl and I drove home through heavy weekend traffic, where I fell onto the bed and slept for two hours.

It was a weekend I'll never forget.  To be there at the moment when a new family is created, when the new chapter of a life story is opened is really special.  Despite all the ills of the world, two people still had enough hope to join their lives together.

It was a piece of hope I really needed.

No comments: