About Me

Pearl City, HI, United States
Husband, father, grandfather, friend...a few of the roles acquired in 68 years of living. I keep an upbeat attitude, loving humor and the singular freedom of a perfect laugh. I don't let curmudgeons ruin my day; that only gives them power over me. Having experienced death once, I no longer fear it, although I am still frightened by the process of dying. I love to write because it allows me the freedom to vent those complex feelings that bounce restlessly off the walls of my mind; and express the beauty that can only be found within the human heart.

Friday, September 22, 2023

What I Did This Summer

 

Santorini

Copyright © 2023
by Ralph F. Couey

Don't worry - I won't recount the whole trip.  There are few things more boring than someone else's vacation.  But there were some notable events that I will offer in the spirit of education and preparation.

The first part of the summer was spent trying to secure funding for our renovation.  Then, in July, we flew to Athens to begin an 8-day Mediterranean cruise, where we joined up with our son's family.  Upon arrival in Athens, we found we were sans luggage.  This on-going battle with Lufthansa was partially resolved early this morning after I discovered a missed call that had come in about 1 a.m.  The voicemail message reported that one of our bags had been "found" in Frankfurt, Germany (apparently never made it to Athens).  There are 12 time zones between here and there, so later tonight I will call them back.

Since we had no clothes, instead of seeing the sights of Athens, we spent several hours buying clothes and toiletries.  Never have I missed more the convenience of a WalMart.  We did visit the Acropolis, climbing that steep hill in 102 degree heat.  Yes, this was the hottest summer in Europe on record.  We had dressed in warm clothes for the flight, so that whole event was pretty uncomfortable.  That heat followed us to each port, the coolest day we had was in Barcelona where the temps plunged to an icy 95 degrees.

From there we sailed to the island of Santorini (where it was 103 degrees), then after a day at sea, visited Kotor in Montenegro, Corfu Greece, Messina, Sicily, one more day at sea, then ending the cruise at Barcelona.  While the family went to visit the sights, I was sprawled in bed at the hotel, a victim of Flu A, apparently contracted on board.  But I considered myself lucky after we were told that there were several cases of COVID running around as well.  Throughout the entire cruise, there was smoke in the air, a result of the many wildfires burning in the Greek islands.  

Because of the schedule, our time in each place was short, which didn't leave much time to see or do things.  Still, it was interesting to see.  I've been all over the Pacific and Indian Oceans, so this was really my first time to see Europe in detail.  I encourage others to do this, but at a cooler time of year.  The day we were in Santorini, 28 guests were sent to urgent care aboard ship, mostly heat exhaustion and 2 cases of actual heat stroke. 

(A quick suggestion for you, before you check your bags, take pictures of your luggage, front, top, and side, and a picture of the luggage tag after its been attached to the bag.  If you like, either store those pics on your phone, or send them to your email.  If your bags come up missing, these will be invaluable in your quest to get them back.)

We got home, still without our original luggage.  Cheryl and I were both sick, and while she recovered fairly quickly, I was ill for an additional four weeks.  

In late August, several work issues came to a head and I made the difficult decision to change jobs.  Starting in Mid-November, I'll be working as a tour guide aboard the USS MISSOURI Memorial in Pearl Harbor as a tour guide.  I won't bore you with the details, suffice to say that it was time.  I have a deep store of knowledge about the ship and her history, and being back aboard I'm sure will rekindle a host of memories.  My time with HI-EMA in the State Warning Point has been an enjoyable challenge with a few exceptions.  And that's all I'll say about that.

With change comes loss, and I will miss my colleagues here immensely.  They're such good people, and very good at what they do.  I've always enjoyed working with professionals, but I will miss them more as friends.

The other loss would be my relationship with the crater cats that we have come to know.  There are four, Smoky (named more for her ability to vanish at a moment's notice), Blackie (one of the neediest animals I've ever known), Patches (who took a long time for me to earn her trust), and my favorite, Pumpkin.  Pumpkin has had a rough year, suffering a dislocated shoulder, and earlier this year began exhibiting signs of neurological trauma.  We think she either got into some kind of toxin, or got kicked by someone.  After sundown, they wander in from the crater to take up station on the front porch, I think because they feel safer in the light.  There are predators, human and animal around at night.  I hope they will be okay. 

                            Blackie                                  Patches                            Pumpkin

Smoky was predictably camera shy

Everyone knows about the Maui wildfires, and the complete destruction of Lahaina Town, and so our days at work have been long, busy, but very productive.  700 folks from FEMA arrived soon after the disaster, 500 of whom went straight to Maui.  I've been so impressed with the volume and quality of their work.  None of them are from the islands, but they are universally invested as if they were.  If you follow the news, you know how much has been done, and also how much still needs to happen.  Most experts think it will be months into years before the community is rebuilt. But it will be even longer for the open wound to heal that this disaster has inflicted on the people, not just on Maui, but statewide.  

Our phones have been ringing off the hook as people from all over the world have been calling to offer donations as well as logistical and personal assistance.  My faith in the fundamental compassion of people has been re-affirmed, and that's a good thing.  I wish this could be bottled and doled out for folks to re-apply from time to time.

In Mid-October, we will again take flight, this time to Virginia where we will cheer on Ian as he hopefully will win yet another football championship, and listen to Diana's stories as she prepares for college, the first great adventure of life.  Sophie will keep us entertained and loved as well.

The first couple of days after our arrival, temps will be in the mid-70s.  But after that, daily highs will range from the low 60s to the low 50s during the day and correspondingly chilly at night.  It will be the first time in a few years, that we're going to feel cold, which I don't mind, but my Polynesian Princess will undoubtedly struggle.  In a magnificent piece of timing, the week we arrive is also when the fall foliage will be peaking in eastern and central Virginia.  I have so missed fall, with all the wonderful changes I have always loved.  Autumn is my favorite season, and this year, I'll be in a place where Autumn actually happens.  I confess to be giddy in my anticipation.

Autumn officially began today, not that anything changes meteorologically around here.  It'll be November before the temperatures noticeably cool.  Summer's been better this year in our home with new windows and air conditioners, but being outside, especially as I am still recovering from the flu, has at times not been pleasant.  But we make time to drive down to Waikiki or Ala Moana and watch the sun sink into the ocean.  Of all His artistry, I still think God does sunsets the best.  




No comments: