About Me

Pearl City, HI, United States
Husband, father, grandfather, friend...a few of the roles acquired in 68 years of living. I keep an upbeat attitude, loving humor and the singular freedom of a perfect laugh. I don't let curmudgeons ruin my day; that only gives them power over me. Having experienced death once, I no longer fear it, although I am still frightened by the process of dying. I love to write because it allows me the freedom to vent those complex feelings that bounce restlessly off the walls of my mind; and express the beauty that can only be found within the human heart.

Monday, May 03, 2021

Random Thoughts



Copyright © 2021
by Ralph F. Couey

It's been a busy couple of weeks.  Yes, we finally closed on the house and the documents were properly recorded, so we are homeowners once again.  Nothing has changed for Cheryl's mom, though.  As far as she is concerned, it's still her house and will remain so for the foreseeable future.  She needs that consistency, and there's no real reason to say anything, as it would only confuse her.  She's still a loving, gentle soul, a joy to be around when she's oriented.  I'm glad I'm around to have this time with her.  The house is in need of several things, not the least of which is an additional bathroom.  But any improvements will have to wait for awhile.  

My dumbbell regimen is going well.  I've increased weight twice, and now that those muscles are toned, I'm adding reps as well.  I'm beginning to see some results, not a beach bod by any stretch, but changes are happening.  I'm still having some trouble finding enough time to do my walking, but as my schedule begins to even out, I think that time will make itself available.  It's not just the exercise, but just getting outside makes a huge difference to my general mood.  I've come to realize that what goes on inside my brain is just as important as building muscles and wind.  

For me, life is a rhythm, a daily beat of activities and responsibilities.  I lost that rhythm in the past few weeks, and I could tell that the uproar was affecting me.  Now that all that hoorah is behind us, I'm beginning to regain that rhythm, not the least of which is frequent visits to this site.

I received round one of the Moderna vaccine, and round two will be administered May 11th, which is the first day of my "weekend."  I planned to be sick the next day, so I've cleared my calendar.  In talking to others, I get a mixed bag of experience.  Some got deathly ill, others had no effect at all.  One of my colleagues said all that happened was that he slept for 18 hours.  I know that overwhelming fatigue was a clear result of shot #1 for me, so maybe that'll be the worst of it.  Anyway, it'll be good to have that behind us.  Having been fully vaccinated, we will be able to travel with a clear conscience.  And a worry-free mind.  We are fervently looking forward to seeing our grandkids again.  Seeing them on Zoom et. al. drives home the point of how rapidly they are growing and changing.  We're missing the best years of their lives, and that just can't go on. Fortunately, Robbie and his fam will be out sometime in August for a visit, and that day can't arrive soon enough.  Our Colorado grandkids we hopefully will get to visit before then, provided my employer the Hawai'i Emergency Management Agency allows me to leave the state.  There's a lot of good pandemic news from the Mainland, but around here the fear has taken hold, and people seem to be far more comfortable with the fear, despite what the numbers are showing.  

Vaccinations are down, starting with the news about the Johnson & Johnson side effects.  While the occurrence of the problems were very small -- 6 cases out of about 7 million shots -- it was enough to give people pause.  I can understand that, but folks have to know that in order for normal to be restored, those shots need to happen.  It's the only way to get to herd immunity.  Its the only way to get our lives back.

The days are rolling by, the cool temperatures of winter are giving way to heat and humidity.  While it'll be worse in July and August, its still the harbinger of some uncomfortable times ahead.  I don't like hot and humid, haven't since I grew up with it in Missouri.  But it's what passes for a change in seasons around here, so it has to be endured.

Seven months into ownership and the Mustang still feels like that brand new toy it was in October.  Every time I get behind the wheel, it feels as exciting as the first time.  It has picked up a minor ding or two, but in the bright sunlight, it is still a sight to behold.  I love the way it responds to steering inputs, and when I need a burst of speed to catch an opening in traffic, it's there by the bucketfull.  It's such a joy to drive, and I hope I never lose this feeling.

Life these days seems to move from day to day, almost like stepping stones.  I've gotten out of the habit of looking ahead, since there's so much uncertainty about the future, it seems less important somehow.  Tomorrow will come, as will the next day, the next week, and so on, but today takes precedence, as these things are what I have control and influence over.  And there are times when tomorrow seems so far away.

Anyway, I think I've found a measure of normality out of all the chaos of late, and that's kind of comforting.   I guess you could say I'm finally finding my rhythm.

No comments: