About Me

Pearl City, HI, United States
Husband, father, grandfather, friend...a few of the roles acquired in 68 years of living. I keep an upbeat attitude, loving humor and the singular freedom of a perfect laugh. I don't let curmudgeons ruin my day; that only gives them power over me. Having experienced death once, I no longer fear it, although I am still frightened by the process of dying. I love to write because it allows me the freedom to vent those complex feelings that bounce restlessly off the walls of my mind; and express the beauty that can only be found within the human heart.

Monday, January 20, 2020

Dreams and Destiny

Kansascity.com

Copyright © 2020
by Ralph F. Couey

Well, it's finally happened.  And as far as anybody knows, as cold as it was today at Arrowhead, Hell didn't freeze over.  The Kansas City Chiefs after 50 years of epically bitter disappointments are going to the Super Bowl.  I look at those words and I think back to this game, and what I feel is a patent sense of unreality, as if I could suddenly wake up and discover that it was all a dream.  But it wasn't a dream.  It actually happened. In two weeks, the Chiefs will climb into the ring with the San Francisco 49ers for a knock-down drag-out to decide which team will wear the crown.

In my last post, I wrote about how difficult its been to be a Chiefs fan over the years. There have been some pretty good teams, a few dominant ones, and several biblically horrible teams.  Along the way there have been playoff losses that simply defied rational explanation.  For the fans, it has been five decades of waiting.  Now the waiting is over.

I know that in a few days, the shock will wear off and I will embrace the reality.  I think we were all emotionally ready for the worst while hoping for the best.  Now comes the two weeks of building anticipation until the big day.  I haven't thought much about the Chiefs opponent except the feeling that given what has happened in the past two games, that even if behind, there's no safe lead against this team.  I know that Garoppolo and company are an excellent team with their own sets of assets and weapons.  But as foolish as the term may sound, I feel that this version of the Chiefs have a destiny.

And that destiny will be fulfilled.

No comments: